As response to the economic hardship brought by the corona virus pandemic, the Japanese government has announced that they will be handing out 100,000 yen to residents in Japan for financial support.
Each person listed on Japan’s Basic Resident Register as of April 27, 2020 will receiver this 100,000 financial benefit. If you had register as a resident and have a visa of more than three months. Congratulation you are eligible!
The application form will be sent by a municipal office to the head of each household. One got it, you only have 3 months to submit it. So if you receive it on May, you only have until August.
Continue reading How to Fill in Application for 100,000 JPY Relief for Foreigners in Japan →
This pandemic creates havoc since January till the present that made the world halted at some point. The virus is still there and cases are rising and falling but had no plans of slowing down especially in big metropolis like Tokyo. Its very important to know where to get help when you suspect you might got COVID base on the known systems.
The Metro Tokyo Government had a guideline on how to get help. Please follow below.
You are experiencing symptoms and have a primary care doctor
- If you are pregnant or at higher risk for serious illness (elderly, receiving dialysis, taking immunosuppressive or anti-cancer medication, or have an underlying medical condition such as diabetes, heart disease, or respiratory disease such as COPD), call immediately. For others, call after 4 days of continued symptoms.
- Severe symptoms such as shortness of breath, severe sense of fatigue, or high fever If you think your symptoms are severe, or you are taking and need to remain on an antipyretic, call immediately.
Continue reading How to get help in Tokyo when unsure of having COVID-19 →
Health is an important aspect of one’s wellbeing. A good health means a person can perform optimally on a given task, be it at work, school, or sports. Getting sick however, is a reality that we all go through at least some few times in our lifetime. That’s why an access to proper medical facilities is tantamount to you getting the adequate healthcare you need so you can recover fast.
Being sick in your own country is a totally different experience compared to being sick in a foreign one. There are so many factors that can affect your overall experience, especially with how you’ll navigate your way through that country’s healthcare system. Add to that problem are the issues you’ll encounter such as unfamiliar customs and language barrier. If you happen to live in a foreign country, particularly Japan, then you are in the right place. I’m going to share with you some tips and tricks on how you can ease your way through in finding a good doctor in Japan.
Japanese healthcare system overview for a foreigner
It is mandatory in Japan to get yourself enrolled in the Japanese healthcare insurance system particularly when you’ve been residing here for longer than 3 months. Even if you are already covered by your insurance company in your country of origin, you still have to get yourself enrolled in their healthcare insurance system.
If you have a full time job, most likely, your employer will process your health insurance in which part of your salary will be deducted in order to pay for it. Consequently, if you are self-employed or not working you’ll be required to get yourself enrolled in Japan’s National Health Insurance. You can process the application at any local city hall near you.
Once you successfully get yourself registered in their healthcare insurance system, when you visit a doctor you’ll pay more or less 30 percent of the actual amount. Concurrently, the govt will shoulder the remaining 70 percent of the remaining balance. And don’t forget to always bring yourself with you your health insurance card since they’ll ask you to present it if you are visiting for an appointment.
How to set an appointment with a doctor
- Once you find a nearest health care facility/ Clinic/ Hospital, call them and set for an appointment. Usually, clinics in Japan don’t accept walk in patients.
- Be on time on your schedule, otherwise they will give your slot to the next patient.
- Register at the information; fill out the forms for clinic records. Show your medical insurance card.
- Ask for a bilingual doctor if you can’t understand Japanese.
- Wait for your number to be called. Then the waiting game begins (approximately 30min-1hr of waiting before your name gets called).
- Once your name is called to see the doctor, be meticulous in detailing your condition as much as you can.
- When you’re done talking with your doctor, they’ll prescribe a medicine and will ask you to go back to information desk.
- Pay your medical consultation fee and get the medicine slip. You can also ask for a medical certificate if you need one. And that’s it, you’re done with your appointment.