How to Open a bank account in Japan for Foreigners

Next to to getting your residence card and registering your address, opening a bank account should be your next priority during your first week in Japan. Why? because you need it for your first paycheck, opening a mobile line if you don’t bring your credit card from your home country and also to stash your Yens in Japan.

Now the next question, what is the recommended bank for foreigners? I asked the opinion of our HR and colleagues and all of them point me to Shinsei Bank.

Continue reading How to Open a bank account in Japan for Foreigners

How to register your residence in Japan

So you got your residence card and finally settled your place in Japan. Wait, its not done yet, there’s one more thing you have to do. Visit your nearest ward office to register your address. If you happen to live in Tokyo, there are 23 wards in this big metropolis. So before you google the address of your nearest ward know what to bring.

What to bring?

  1. Japanese Residence Card
  2. Passport (just in case for verification)
  3. Some Yen for Residence Certificate

Its time to visit your Ward Office. Please be mindful that  Ward Offices are mostly open  8:30 AM – 5:00 PM from Monday – Friday and Closed on Weekends and Holidays.

Continue reading How to register your residence in Japan

How to get your Japanese Residence Card

One of the most important thing you need to obtain once you landed in Japan is your Residence Card.

First,  what is Japanese Residence Card? According to Japanese Immigration site

A residence card shall be issued to a foreign national who has stayed in Japan for a mid- to long term as a result of having obtained permits relating to the status of residence, such as a new landing permit, a permit for a change of the status of residence, and a permit for the extension of the period of stay (a mid- to long term resident). Therefore, a residence card has the nature of a certificate with which the Minister of Justice proves that the relevant foreign national legally stays in Japan with the status of residence that permits him/her to stay in Japan for a mid- to long term, up to the permitted period of stay. At the same time, a residence card, which is issued upon obtaining permits relating to the status of residence other than a landing permit, also has the nature of being a written permit, acting as a formal permit in lieu of seals for various permits previously affixed on a passport.

A residence card contains the important part of the personal information held by the Minister of Justice, such as name, birth date, gender, nationality/region of origin, address, status of residence, period of stay, and whether or not he/she can work. If there is any change in these matters, the relevant person is obliged to notify the change. Therefore, the latest information shall always be reflected in a residence card. A residence card for a person aged 16 or over also contains a photograph of his/her face.

A conventional alien registration certificate held by a mid- to long term resident shall be deemed equivalent to a residence card for a certain period of time, in procedures for departure from Japan with a Special Re-entry Permit or for other various applications to be filed at immigration bureaus, as well as in procedures for notification of domicile, etc. to be carried out at municipal government offices.



Continue reading How to get your Japanese Residence Card

Scholarship:Young Leaders Program for Masters Student in Japan

Are you fascinated with the unique culture and want to study and live in Japan?

If YES, once again the Japan Information and Culture Center (JICC), Embassy of Japan is pleased to announced that the applications for the 2018 Young leaders program are now open.

Young Leaders Program is yearlong academic scholarship program that aims to prepare and empower young professionals from all over the world for future leadership roles in their respective fields.


YLP Grantees may choose to specialize in any of the following areas of study.

  1. Business Administration
  2. Law
  3. School of Government – Public Administration
  4. Local governance

The one year duration of this program shall commence around October 2018 and classes will be conducted primarily in English. A master’s degree will also be conferred to participants upon successful completion of the program.


Interested applicants must be

  • A Filipino citizen
  • A Bachelors degree holder with excellent academic records
  • Highly proficient in English
  • 35-40 years old and below ( depending on the filed of study)
  • Employed with at least 3-5 years of work experience

Continue reading Scholarship:Young Leaders Program for Masters Student in Japan

How to Process POEA for Japan bound OFW

You just obtain your Japanese Working Visa and excited to fly to Japan. Wait you are not done yet. One must be a registered OFW first through POEA before going to Japan. You are in the right site if you are looking for step by step guide.

Note: Based on my personal experience and this guide is intended for Name hire ( Skilled/ Professional Worker)

Document Collection

  1. Passport with validity of not less than 6 months from the intended date of departure.
  2. Valid Japanese Working Visa
  3. Employment Contract or Offer of Employment ( Must be Verified by POLO in Phil Embassy in Tokyo)
  4. Copy of Diploma, Employment Certificate, and Training Certificates ( If applicable)
  5. Valid Medical Certificate from DOH- Accredited Clinic authorized to conduct medical exam for OFW.
  6. Pre Departure Orientation and Seminar Certificate by OWWA ( Note: You need to schedule this once done with pre assessment)

You need to photocopy all these documents (before submission) Continue reading How to Process POEA for Japan bound OFW

How to Process Japanese Working Visa in Philippines

Congratulations you got your dream job in Japan. But you can’t go just yet, as one must obtain a valid working Japanese Visa. This post will help you on the step by step process in getting one.

You can follow this guide below, assume you have your COE ( Certificate of Eligibility) at hand. If not, follow this guide in obtaining Certificate of Eligibility.

Continue reading How to Process Japanese Working Visa in Philippines

Filipino Housekeepers for Japan

Have you heard the news lately? The first batch of Filipino Housekeepers will be deployed in Kanagawa and Osaka, Japan this month of February 2017. Source

The lucky first batch to be hired under a new government policy that encourages Japanese professional woman to re-enter the workforce after bearing a child.

These 50 new Filipino Housekeepers were trained by Magsaysay Global Services which partnered by Pasona, a Japanese agency.

Filipinos who had been selected to this program were given FREE TRAINING in Japanese language, culture, hospitality, and housework for two months. They will also undergo on-the-job and orientation training in Japan before they are deployed.

Want to take this opportunity? Good news is, Japan is still looking for Filipino Housekeepers. Not as a maid but categorized as Professional Housekeepers with a salary of more than P 70,000.

Continue reading Filipino Housekeepers for Japan